More trunk bracing.

12 September 2008

In preparation for mounting on the recently purchased AutoTwirler (still waiting on the leaf spring mount brackets) I’ve braced the rear end. This (paired with the prior support braces) should stop any corkscrew-ing or sagging when the car is rotated. Once mounted, it is off to the ‘blasters for cleaning, then when it gets back it’ll be time for putting together the new arse-end of the car. For this, this bracing will need to be removed, so really these bracings are very temporary to allow the shotblasters to get all round the car. Here’s some pictures:

 

Advertisements

Assembling the AutoTwirler.

4 September 2008

The AutoTwirler (car rotisserie) arrived (rusty). There’s not much to assembly…

 

You get two of these ends. Three wheels for each. The wheels are on plates that slot into a seat, then a single bolt holds them in.

 

These three bars are to tie the two ends together. They come packaged inside the swinging t-bars.

 

Now it’s assembled I can see that I’m gonna have to either fabricate or buy a pair of brackets that will mount the back end of the car. For the cost of thick box section around here (and to say my welder wouldn’t do brilliantly with 6-8mm steel is being generous), I decided to buy some. I’ll be ordering them from Eastwood (in America) soon, so I have a fair wait till they arrive. The front is easy enough it just sits on the ‘prongs’ and bolts through them into the firewalls subframe mounts.

Cut up the door skins.

1 September 2008

In preparation for the blast cleaning, I cut out a large section of the door skin, to expose the hidden side of the interior door wall. I’m trying to maximize what needs cleaning gets blasted, and minimize what doesn’t (as in what needs to replaced for sure).

 

Before / after of the right hand door:

 

…and the other side:

 

Not much left of the car now…

 

I’m probably going to cut some more of the quarters out (lose the gills for now), for the same reason as doing the door skins. It’s going to look good (or something close, anyway), when it’s all been blasted and primed.

Some more cutting.

28 August 2008

Decided to cut away the strip of the boot pan I had previously left on top of the box section. I would not be able to weld to it, like I had originally planned, it is of too bad a condition. I had concerns about it providing structure to the box section, but now think it is strong enough and is supported at either end to under the body and to the tail panel.

 

I also cut away the remainder of the pan to the right, fully removed the wheelhouses (just a case of finding the spot welds) from the rocker panel and tidied up some previous cuts. Just need to work out what to do with the shock mounts and then clean everything up.

 

A professional sand blast job is very appealing and seemingly a necessity. The entire rear end, bulk head, interior needs to be removed of rust, and there are too many awkward surfaces for a wire wheel or flap disc to do a satisfactory job. My new shot blast gun and 11cfm compressor is still not up to the job (to small a blast diameter, and not enough force behind the grit to remove dirt let alone rust and layers of paint).

Something's missing…

26 August 2008

Cut out the trunk pan.

Before:

 

The cut out trunk pan:

Note the the upper corners. I had to cut slightly differently than what I planned, as underneath there is part of another panel that overlaps right in the corner, so I had to avoid cutting this.

 

To maintain structural integrity, a strip of the trunk pan which is spot-welded on top of the box section was not removed, also some of the pan was left where it meets the tail panel, and about a foot or so of it remains where the pan meets with the back seat. Also, cut away some of the pan to one side of the box section. Will finish the other side tomorrow as well as neatening some of the cuts (straightening them out) to make it easier to cut the new panel to shape.

 

It’s a little weird being able to see straight through the car now.

Cut away some more of the quarter panel and proceeded to drill out the spots welds holding the inner and outer wheelhouses to the body shell (to the rear seat pan, trunk pan, rear seat back rest, filler panel, inner side panel, trunk hinge supports and sail pillar support). An area down near the rocker panel is causing problems as to how to remove the wheelhouse spot welds from there, so for now I’ve just cut around the problem area. Also, drilled and cut out the filler panel.

 

Before:

 

After:

Drilled out all the spot welds between the trunk pan and the support straps in preparation for removing a large section of the pan.

 

I started by dot-punching and drilling a 2mm pilot hole (with a Cobalt drill bit) from underneath, then from above drilled the hole to 10mm (with another Cobalt drill bit). I didn’t worry about putting a hole in the strap, as I’ll be welding them to the new pan from underneath via plug-welding these holes.

 

From above:

 

From below:

 

The supports are then welded to the tail panel, but I’ll be leaving them there, I just wanted to free the trunk pan.