Car is back… !!

23 October 2008

The car was delivered back to me early this evening, looking decidedly better.

 

So, after sandblasting and priming, this is what the body now looks like:

 

Inside:


 

Dash, roof and the see-through rear end:

 

The underside:

 

Hood, boot and cowl:

 

Overall, I’m pretty pleased with the results of the sandblasting, certainly a lot easier to work with now, and nicer to look at. There are a few areas inside the car and underneath where there was rubber/sealant/undercoating which did not come off with the blasting. The only down side to having it primered straight after the blast-cleaning is I don’t know how good a job at getting rid of all the rust they did… so fingers crossed I get no rust bubbles appearing through the paint.

 

Now, to start the repair work. The rear end will be the first thing… trunk pan, trunk to quarter extensions, filler panels, shock mounts, inner and outer wheelhouses and the quarters.

 

Advertisements

Car is gone…

22 October 2008

The car was picked up last night (Tuesday) and taken to the shotblasters. They should be working on it today (Wednesday) and deliver it back tomorrow (Thursday). Quite exciting.

 

Though it is a little sad to see the empty spot on the driveway:

More AutoTwirlin' fun.

18 October 2008

Rotating the body 90 degrees made me realise the body on the AutoTwirler was acting more like a pendulum than a rotisserie – in that it didn’t want to rotate through many degrees with ease. This meant the center of gravity of the body shell was not aligned with the pivot point of the AutoTwirler. Today I corrected this by raising the body about a foot higher than previously… now it freely rotates through all 360 degrees.

 

First of all though I put an extra, larger, washer on the front mounting bolts… as the first ones were too small and were buckling under tension.

 

Next was to adjust the centre of gravity alignment. This adjustment is via holes in the vertical section of the AutoTwirler T-bar (the bar with the mounting prongs and/or brackets) and a big chunky bolt. First was to take the weight off these bolts… I used an engine crane at the front and two jacks on blocks at the rear.

 

Then in gradual increments, at front and back simultaneously, raised the body up (whilst still attached to the AutoTwirler T-bar)… Until it was two holes higher than previously (I raised just one hole higher first, tested (rotation), then decided to go one higher).

 

The body now rotates through 360 degrees easily.

 

AutoTwirler in action.

16 October 2008

Not much work is being done to the car lately… Anyway, today I rotated the body shell 90 degrees just for the sake of it…

 


 

Hopefully now I can arrange an appointment with the shot-blasters and by the end of the month, or sooner, the body will all be clean metal and paint-primed… ready to start some actual repair work, instead of just pulling/cutting everything off the car.

 

Et voila…

8 October 2008

The adapter brackets for the AutoTwirler finally arrived (last week) and today was nice out, so, I got round to mounting the body. Took a while but got it done…

  • First, I had to roughly set up the AutoTwirler with the two ends at the the front and back of the car with the middle bar connecting the two whilst the body was still on blocks.
  • Then, using a mix of an engine hoist and 2 car jacks lifted the body about one meter off the ground.
  • Once the body was at the right height, the two ends of the rotisserie could be slid inwards a bit to the mounting locations.
  • Then all the bolts were tightened…
  • …and removed the hoist and jacks.

 

First of all though I had to install the back mount brackets. They attach where the leaf springs bushings would otherwise be:

 

Then to raise the body shell… using the engine hoist and two jacks:

 

The two ends of the AutoTwirler rolled inwards a bit and mated with the mounting locations at front and back:

 

Here it is fully mounted:

More trunk bracing.

12 September 2008

In preparation for mounting on the recently purchased AutoTwirler (still waiting on the leaf spring mount brackets) I’ve braced the rear end. This (paired with the prior support braces) should stop any corkscrew-ing or sagging when the car is rotated. Once mounted, it is off to the ‘blasters for cleaning, then when it gets back it’ll be time for putting together the new arse-end of the car. For this, this bracing will need to be removed, so really these bracings are very temporary to allow the shotblasters to get all round the car. Here’s some pictures:

 

Assembling the AutoTwirler.

4 September 2008

The AutoTwirler (car rotisserie) arrived (rusty). There’s not much to assembly…

 

You get two of these ends. Three wheels for each. The wheels are on plates that slot into a seat, then a single bolt holds them in.

 

These three bars are to tie the two ends together. They come packaged inside the swinging t-bars.

 

Now it’s assembled I can see that I’m gonna have to either fabricate or buy a pair of brackets that will mount the back end of the car. For the cost of thick box section around here (and to say my welder wouldn’t do brilliantly with 6-8mm steel is being generous), I decided to buy some. I’ll be ordering them from Eastwood (in America) soon, so I have a fair wait till they arrive. The front is easy enough it just sits on the ‘prongs’ and bolts through them into the firewalls subframe mounts.

Advertisements