Started with this:

 

Removing wheel studs is easy…

… just hit with a hammer and they pop through. Notice two of the removed studs had sheared, luckily there was still enough to hit with a hammer to knock them out. If there isn’t anything for the hammer to hit just use another wheel stud, thread end touching the broken stud and hit the head with the hammer.

 

To remove the hub put a piece of wood on the top of it…

And hit the wood, hard, a few times:

The hub is really grimy, so cleaned it by scraping and using Gunk (degreaser).

 

Dismantling brakes:
Here is the backing plate for one of the front drum brakes.

 

Not many steps in dismantling. One, undo the nut above the slave cylinder. This allows the knuckle to be seperated with (gentle) taps to backside of it.

 

Next is to remove the pins holding the brake shoes to the backing plate:

Easiest way is to use needle nose pliers, push down on the top of the spring, while pushing the head of the pin from the other side of the backing plate. Then you can use the pliers to rotate the pin 90 degrees and it’ll pop out the slot.

 

Now to separate the shoes from the slave cylinder:

Just push/pull…

…to stretch the springs and separate from the cylinder

 

Next just wiggle free all the brake hardware, and undo two bolts on the back of the backing plate to remove the cylinder.

Advertisements

Took out the rear shocks and leaf springs. Someone in the past did a rather shitty repair for one of the rear shocks where it had rotted and fallen through the trunk pan mounts, they made a bodge plate and bolted it to the rear frame. To get the leaf springs out was a little tricky; a couple of the front bracket mount bolts just turned as they had separated from a retaining clip, one of the bolts through the shackle at the back was rounded and both were rusted inside the spring. To overcome these problems I decided to go through the floor and trunk pans as this was quickest, easiest and are to be replaced anyway.

Troublesome bolt under floor pans holding the leaf spring mount bracket:

Cut the hole in the floorpan. Can now hold still the nut on this side of the bolt and loosen from the other.

Troublesome shackle mounting bolt for rear of leaf spring under trunk pan:

Cut the hole in the trunk pan. Now have room to fit a socket to make unbolting easier and be able to use a drift pin (another bolt) and a hammer to knock the bolt out of the bushing.

Shocks and assorted other bits taken off:

Leaf springs:

Under car:

Took out rear axle.

25 May 2008

Took out the rear axle assembly. The leaf springs are being a little stubborn, so I separated them under the car and am going to take them out later.

Before:

Before / after:

Before / after:

Axle Assembly:

Before:

After:

After cleaning:

Sheared another bolt on the towbar – these really were rusted through, and the the last remaining one just spins in its hole, so had to drill the heads off all the bolts. The bumper and towbar then fell off. Also took out the last rear quarter window (had to cut and pull the plastic roller off). Removed some strips along the floor and in the door area, and removed some weatherstrips and mounting clips.

 

Noticed that on the day the car first fired there appeared a bright green – antifreeze – puddle of liquid under the car and in the passenger side floor pan so suspect the radiator, to make sure I’ve cut the water hose entering the radiator and reattached where the the hose leaving the radiator goes – the engine. Will examine if any leaks when I start the car again, soon.

 

Windshield out.

8 April 2008

Used a stanley knife and a guitar string to cut the rubber seal around the window. Got 3 sides done nicely, but on the fourth could not get the knife blade in properly nor the string all the way through; no matter what angle, how hard or how many times I tried. Eventually stabbed most of it away using just the tip of the blade. Lifted windsheild out and as doing so watched an existing crack grow and grow. So, as there was no point in being carefull now I eventually wiggled free the windshield you see below.

 

Also disconnected the headlights and indicators.

 

Took both doors off. Took rear window and one rear quarter window out. The rubber seal for the back window had almost completely disintegrated so the glass just lifted out. One quarter window was seperated from its tracks (a plastic roller has fallen off) so this was also simple – the other side is still connected to the guide tracks, so I’ll leave it for now.


Don’t do this to the rear window, have stored it somewhere with less chance of it breaking: