Removed filler panel.

16 August 2008

Removed filler panel through drilling out spot welds to the top of the trunk pan, the bottom of the remaining quarter and also, unnecessarily (causing me more problems by doing so) to the tail panel.

 

Before:

 

After:

Advertisements

Removed wheelhouse.

15 August 2008

Removed left side wheelhouse by drilling out all the spot welds, and a little bit of cutting.

 

Before:

Rust damage:

 

After:

Cut quarter panel.

11 June 2008

Cut a large section out of the rear quarter to examine how it’s all put together – whilst waiting for the new panels to arrive.

Doors back on.

6 June 2008

Doors temporarily rehung. This is to aid in replacing the rear quarters, they will somewhat hold the body in alignment. I removed all the glass and the associated mechanisms. Left the exterior handles on and locks in.
 

More paint stripping.

1 June 2008

Used some more Nitro Mors on the trunk lid, boot lid and front cowl panel. They all still need to be sanded down.

I am considering either hiring a beefy shot-blast unit and compressor (the one I used earlier, coupled with my small compressor, to do the hood hinges is just not up to the task), or taking the panels somewhere professional, just to save on all the time and effort – and to get a better result. I still need the inside and underside of the car body done, the firewall, lots of front support panels, heater box and more.

Removed paint and sanded to bare metal, the roof, sail pillars and rear end.

Used Nitro Mors Paint and Varnish stripper, it makes light work of each of the layers of paint but doesn’t touch the primer.

Used a random orbit sander to get rid of the primer coat.

Before:

Paint stripper applied:

After scraping:

After sanding:

The rear quarters are going to be replaced, so are left untouched for now.