So today the driver side quarter was finished, cut to size and shape, and tacked into position.
First was to cut away some more of the old quarter. I cut an inch below the top edge and about two inches from the door. A centimetre above the lower contour line. And at the back end there’s about an inch of wrap around. I also painted (with POR-15) some bare metal that will be hidden when the quarter is on.
Then the replacement is put on the car and aligned. From the inside of the car trace on the quarter panel where the existing quarter has been cut away.
Cut a centimetre larger than this outline all round (the initial alignment is critical, so take care and most importantly ensure the middle contour line properly follows the original). Then offer it back up to the car and clamp in place. Outline onto the car.
On this new outline use a flange tool to recess the existing metal, allowing the new replacement to sit flush. Only flange the existing metal along the top. The door edge and rear edge of the existing metal will not be able to be flanged as various bits of metal are in the way to prevent this. Instead, flange the replacement skin on these edges. This means, that the door and rear edges of the replacement tuck under, and the top sits on top of the existing metal, so everything is flush. For the lower contour line of the replacement cut on the line and flange a centimetre above this.
Now it’s time to weld…
Also I completely removed the original door skin and mocked up the replacement… things are starting to look quite exciting…