Passenger floor replaced

31 December 2008

Before

 

After

Advertisements

Driver floor now exists.

29 December 2008

Here is (what remains of) the original driver side floor. Somewhat lacking in metal.

 

The replacement pan to be cut on the black line. And positioned in situ. The panel doesn’t fit too well; the recesses do not line up with the originals under the car… It’s as if everything needs to be shifted half an inch to the left but the left edge of the pan is restricting that – so this left edge will have to be reshaped (bashed with a hammer and heat) to allow the whole pan to be correctly aligned.

 

1. The outer line is the outline of the new pan. The inner line is what is to be cut away of the original floor. 2. The old floor cut out.

 

1. The replacement pan has been reshaped slightly and now fits snugly. It has been trimmed round the edges to allow for an inch of overlap on the original floor. 2. The new inner line is where the replacement panel now sits. I also did some more cutting away of the original floor – the main thing is the far left side of the old floor has been cut flush to the rocker. 3. The new pan with holes punched around the perimeter at 1.5″ spacing and the original floor ground down to clean metal, ready for welding.

 

And after, welded in place:

Rear seat rust repair.

27 December 2008

Was just going to do a small patch job to the side of the support plate (it’s the plate that the traction arm bolts to from underneath). But thought I had better remove the plate and see the extent of the damage… It was pretty ugly underneath, with a lot of metal rotted to nothing and a fair few pinholes. So it’d be best to do a larger patch panel.

 

Before:

 

After drilling out the original spot-welds on the plate, and after cleaning and painting with POR-15.

 

The repair panel, cut to shape and positioned.

 

The patch panel plug welded in place. The holes were made going from the underneath as the original panel is still there. The strengthening plate was then put back and plug welded. Again, not all the welds are done just yet, just enough to hold everything in place – (this way I get to see progress…)

 

And a general state of things:

 

Next will be to fill some more of the welds then move onto the front floor pans.

And the second floor is in.

23 December 2008

There were too many little rust holes to patch up, so the whole floor is to be replaced. First was to decide and mark out how much of the old floor to cut out.

 

Then, the cut out section is overlaid on the new floor pan and drawn around. Then enlarge the outline by about an inch or so all around and cut out the new pan.

 

The new floor pan. Laid onto the car to see if any more trimming needs to be done and to mark out the boundries for where the paint needs to be stripped on the car. Note that the cutout I made a while ago when removing the leaf springs now gets patched up by the new floor pan.

 

The paint stripped from the body, now ready to be welded. I’ve marked on the new pan every 1.5 inches where a hole will be drilled or punched for the plug welds. Then once all the holes have been made, grind the holes and cut edges clean.

 

The new pan is now ready to be welded in place. I’ve only tacked it (and the other side) in a few places for now but all the holes will be plug welded shortly… And possibly seam welded for an inch between the plugs for extra strength, but I’m considering whether or not this is needed.

The first floor in.

22 December 2008

Welded the rear end section a bit more, but have decided I’m going to go round and do all the welds in one go (a few will be done when installing the panels to hold them in position and for body strength)… so I will proceed with installing more panels. Today I put in the new right side rear floor pan. This was very straightforward… Cut the old one out, cut the new floor oversized an inch or so and then plug weld into the the car.

 

 

I only filled a few of the plug weld holes (for now), but the floor is now very solid, and importantly, free from rust holes.

Been busy…

21 December 2008

Haven’t had much too much time for the car in the last couple of months… But a fair bit has been done. The trunk pan is in, the right hand shock mount, trunk extension and trunk filler panels have all been put in, and so has the inner and outer wheelhouses.

 




 

There is still a load of spot (plug with my MIG) welds to do and also some seams welds to tidy up and grind down. But everything is all in and not going anywhere. Quite impressed with how everything has lined up. There’ll be a more detailed step-by-step post for the left hand side. Next thing I do though will probably be the floors, as there are a few extra problems with the left hand side shock mount which has rotted away to nothing – so a fair bit of work needs to be done to make it structurally sound… so I’ll just delay the problem, and do the floors first.